Young Tony Curtis and Young Houdini performing Magic [German Newspaper clipping from Janet Leigh Collection at Margaret Herrick Library]
Both performed most of their own tricks/stunts in their respective films:
- Tony Curtis performs many of the tricks of the master himself in “H o u d i n i,” the Paramount picture…This accomplishment is probably worth noting, since the illusions could so easily be faked in a medium that itself used to be known as “the magic lantern.” [Newspaper clipping from Janet Leigh Collection] In fact, George Boston (magic instructor) and Joe Dunninger (magician who inherited some of Houdini tricks and books) were technical advisors on the magic and escapes.
- Harry performed most of his own stunts in “The Grim Game”, despite the fact that they could easily be faked by movie magic editing and using a stunt double (e.g., plane to plane transfer).
Both performed magic tricks on the set of their respective movies:
- Tony Curtis made up as old man showing magic tricks to studio workers. The consultant on the movie, George Boston, is the fellow in the black tie and dark coat. [Paramount Pictures Corporation]
- Houdini performs on the Famous Players-Lasky
Both got injured making their respective movies:
- Tony Curtis sprained his right ankle .[Paramount Pictures Corporation]
- Houdini risked his life and sustained injury in making “The Grim Game”
Both are Kings of Cards:
- Tony Curtis King of Cards Still [Paramount Pictures Corporation]